[Dovecot] Dovecot waking every 50ms when doing nothing

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jun 3 20:48:33 EEST 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Ross Burton wrote:
> I presume porting Dovecot to use the glib main loop abstraction (which
> is nice and lean, the object system is a separate library) is out
> of the
> question?

   Please don't.  One reason Dovecot is so easy to get up and running
quickly is that it has minimal dependencies.  For those of us who
aren't running Linux on PCs that can become a headache very quickly,
as the authors of many of the depended-upon libraries often get
"creative" with nonportable GCCisms and other such nonsense.  And
even when one *is* running Linux on a PC, sometimes we don't want to
build fifteen packages in order to build one.

   That's not to say that simply adding one dependency on glib would
cause a huge problem...but it indicates the adoption of a mindset,
and it's a slippery slope.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire