[Dovecot] Dovecot waking every 50ms when doing nothing

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 4 02:33:41 EEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 11:54 -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 18:48 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > I've used GLib before. The biggest problem I see with it is that it
> > doesn't support memory pools. That's why I duplicated most of its useful
> > functionality originally instead of just using it directly. So I think
> > it's much better to fix Dovecot's main loop code to work better instead
> > of adding a dependency to GLib and using only a tiny part of it.
>
> Are they against adding memory pools?

I haven't asked, but adding support for them would require changing a
lot of code and duplicating a lot of functions to create mempool
supported versions of them. And all of this would just make the code
slower if the mempools weren't actually used much. I doubt GLib people
would be that interested in adding support for them.

Anyway, I don't really care that much about GLib. I'm pretty happy with
my own liblib, although it would be nice to be able to use GLib's
unicode functions already. One other reason why I wouldn't want to use
GLib is because I want dovecot-auth to be MIT licensed to get it more
widely used. There's just one piece of LGPLed code preventing it: GLib's
printf_string_upper_bound(). Plus of course that I haven't bothered to
really separate dovecot-auth into its own package yet, maybe for v2.0..