[Dovecot] Dovecot Authentication Problem - Help pls!

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 4 15:16:50 EEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 09:02 +0300, Odhiambo WASHINGTON wrote:
> I have built and manually copied dovecot-auth to the install destination
> and now it id not stripped. Now this is the result of the debug:
..
> #0  0x805d848 in sql_query_get_result ()
> (gdb) bt

Now this backtrace looks correct, but it's still stripped. Otherwise it
would have shown parameters inside the ().

Did you build manually from the tarball or using ports? Building it with
-g and without -O2 would be the best way to debug this properly. I don't
know about ports, but using tarball you're able to do this with:

CFLAGS=-g ./configure

Once you do get the sql_query_get_result() to show a bit more
information, type also these:

p i
p fields_count
p name
p value
p *auth_result

> While trying the other method you have detailed, I just don't seem to get it right:
>
> [root at ns2]#ps ax | grep dove
> 11446  ??  Ss     0:00.04 /usr/local/sbin/dovecot
> 11447  ??  S      0:00.02 dovecot-auth
> 17279  p2  RV     0:00.00 grep dove (csh)
>
> [root at ns2]#gdb attach 11447 -w process

I meant just "gdb attach 11447". Except not 11447 but the "dovecot-auth
-w" process. Apparently it hasn't been started yet. You could do a login
with invalid user/pass to make sure it's created but without getting it
to crash. But this isn't really needed since you managed to get a
noncorrupted backtrace anyway using the core.