[Dovecot] Dovecot Authentication Problem - Help pls!

Odhiambo WASHINGTON wash at wananchi.com
Mon Jun 4 16:27:14 EEST 2007

* On 04/06/07 15:16 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
| On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 09:02 +0300, Odhiambo WASHINGTON wrote:
| > I have built and manually copied dovecot-auth to the install destination
| > and now it id not stripped. Now this is the result of the debug:
| ..
| > #0  0x805d848 in sql_query_get_result ()
| > (gdb) bt
|
| Now this backtrace looks correct, but it's still stripped. Otherwise it
| would have shown parameters inside the ().

Oh, so do I need to build everything unstripped? That would be difficult
when using the ports.

| Did you build manually from the tarball or using ports?

From the ports!

| Building it with -g and without -O2 would be the best way to
| debug this properly. I don't know about ports, but using
| tarball you're able to do this with:
|
| CFLAGS=-g ./configure
|
| Once you do get the sql_query_get_result() to show a bit more
| information, type also these:
|
| p i
| p fields_count
| p name
| p value
| p *auth_result

I do believe this problem is something to do with the OS version on
which it is happening, and perhaps might be so difficult to get round
to solving. All this is happening on FreeBSD 4.11, with MySQL-4.0.27.
This system could be "dirty" - some stale libscould be lying around!

I have simulated a similar setup on FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.2 both using
MySQL-4.1.22, and FreeBSD 7.x using MySQL-5.0.41 and there is no
crash at all. I create a file hierarchy for the mail_location and
everything seems to work perfectly.

The only problem I am facing is that the actual mail_store that I
need to move to another server via imapsync does live on the
FreeBSD 4.11 box!

It would be nice to get to solve this problem, as that would make
life easy for me, but now I am beginning to think that I could as
well rsync the data onto another machine and access it from there.
NFS-mounting the mail store would be another option but I hate to
deal with NFS-related problems too:-)

| > While trying the other method you have detailed, I just don't seem to get it right:
| >
| > [root at ns2]#ps ax | grep dove
| > 11446  ??  Ss     0:00.04 /usr/local/sbin/dovecot
| > 11447  ??  S      0:00.02 dovecot-auth
| > 17279  p2  RV     0:00.00 grep dove (csh)
| >
| > [root at ns2]#gdb attach 11447 -w process
|
| I meant just "gdb attach 11447". Except not 11447 but the "dovecot-auth
| -w" process. Apparently it hasn't been started yet. You could do a login
| with invalid user/pass to make sure it's created but without getting it
| to crash. But this isn't really needed since you managed to get a
| noncorrupted backtrace anyway using the core.

Ok. Allow me to understand this, even if just for another day..

-bash-2.05b$ sudo su
Password:
[root at ns2]#ps ax | grep dove
43802  ??  Ss     0:00.08 /usr/local/sbin/dovecot
43803  ??  S      0:00.05 dovecot-auth
[root at ns2]#gdb attach 43803
GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...

attach: No such file or directory.

/mailstore/home/wash/43803: No such file or directory.
Attaching to process 43803
0x2812bc50 in ?? ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.

# At this point, I go to another shell where I attempt pop3 login.
The login fails with an error, of course.

Now, what am I supposed to type/do on the gdb shell?
As you can see, it has the word "Continuing"... anything I need to type
to get it our of that so that it again accepts my commands?

-Wash

DISCLAIMER: See http://www.wananchi.com/bms/terms.php

--
    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121