[Dovecot] Dovecot Authentication Problem - Help pls! - RESOLVED

Odhiambo WASHINGTON wash at wananchi.com
Tue Jun 5 10:08:56 EEST 2007

* On 04/06/07 16:27 +0300, Wash wrote:
| * On 04/06/07 15:16 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
| | On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 09:02 +0300, Odhiambo WASHINGTON wrote:
| | > I have built and manually copied dovecot-auth to the install destination
| | > and now it id not stripped. Now this is the result of the debug:
| | ..
| | > #0  0x805d848 in sql_query_get_result ()
| | > (gdb) bt
| |
| | Now this backtrace looks correct, but it's still stripped. Otherwise it
| | would have shown parameters inside the ().
|
| Oh, so do I need to build everything unstripped? That would be difficult
| when using the ports.
|

| | Did you build manually from the tarball or using ports?
|
| From the ports!
|

| | Building it with -g and without -O2 would be the best way to
| | debug this properly. I don't know about ports, but using
| | tarball you're able to do this with:
| |
| | CFLAGS=-g ./configure
| |
| | Once you do get the sql_query_get_result() to show a bit more
| | information, type also these:
| |
| | p i
| | p fields_count
| | p name
| | p value
| | p *auth_result
|

| I do believe this problem is something to do with the OS version on
| which it is happening, and perhaps might be so difficult to get round
| to solving. All this is happening on FreeBSD 4.11, with MySQL-4.0.27.
| This system could be "dirty" - some stale libscould be lying around!
|
| I have simulated a similar setup on FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.2 both using
| MySQL-4.1.22, and FreeBSD 7.x using MySQL-5.0.41 and there is no
| crash at all. I create a file hierarchy for the mail_location and
| everything seems to work perfectly.
|
| The only problem I am facing is that the actual mail_store that I
| need to move to another server via imapsync does live on the
| FreeBSD 4.11 box!
|
| It would be nice to get to solve this problem, as that would make
| life easy for me, but now I am beginning to think that I could as
| well rsync the data onto another machine and access it from there.
| NFS-mounting the mail store would be another option but I hate to
| deal with NFS-related problems too:-)
|

| | > While trying the other method you have detailed, I just don't seem to get it right:
| | >
| | > [root at ns2]#ps ax | grep dove
| | > 11446  ??  Ss     0:00.04 /usr/local/sbin/dovecot
| | > 11447  ??  S      0:00.02 dovecot-auth
| | > 17279  p2  RV     0:00.00 grep dove (csh)
| | >
| | > [root at ns2]#gdb attach 11447 -w process
| |
| | I meant just "gdb attach 11447". Except not 11447 but the "dovecot-auth
| | -w" process. Apparently it hasn't been started yet. You could do a login
| | with invalid user/pass to make sure it's created but without getting it
| | to crash. But this isn't really needed since you managed to get a
| | noncorrupted backtrace anyway using the core.
|
| Ok. Allow me to understand this, even if just for another day..
|
| -bash-2.05b$ sudo su
| Password:
| [root at ns2]#ps ax | grep dove
| 43802  ??  Ss     0:00.08 /usr/local/sbin/dovecot
| 43803  ??  S      0:00.05 dovecot-auth
| [root at ns2]#gdb attach 43803
| GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
| Copyright 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
| welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
| Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
| There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
| This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
|
| attach: No such file or directory.
|

| /mailstore/home/wash/43803: No such file or directory.
| Attaching to process 43803
| 0x2812bc50 in ?? ()
| (gdb) cont
| Continuing.
|
| # At this point, I go to another shell where I attempt pop3 login.
| The login fails with an error, of course.
|
| Now, what am I supposed to type/do on the gdb shell?
| As you can see, it has the word "Continuing"... anything I need to type
| to get it our of that so that it again accepts my commands?

While still waiting for clarification so that I get to have ideas how
developers debug crashes, I got round to solving this problem on FreeBSD
4.11.
It turns out that dovecot-auth was linking against an old library of
libmysqlclient that was lying somewhere in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.
I am not sure what created that libs container, but all I had to do
was to make a symlink to the correct library inside this container,
rebuild dovecot from the ports and voila! No more dovecot-auth crashes.

Thanks, Timo, for your time on trying to help me with this. I am
awaiting your answers to the questions above - on gdb.

-Wash

DISCLAIMER: See http://www.wananchi.com/bms/terms.php

--
    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121

When you're not looking at it, this fortune is written in FORTRAN.