[Dovecot] dovecot-20070605 runtime problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 11 05:27:23 EEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 21:12 -0500, David Favor wrote:
> The 20070605 version of dovecot starts up doing ssl protocol perfect,
> then after clicking a few directories, then when clicking back to INBOX,
> dovecot hangs. There is no logging info, even with --enable-debug
> on and all .conf file directives I can find. Doing a 'ngrep port 993'
> shows no SSL dialog.

1) Enable rawlog to see what were the last commands and their output.
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html

2) strace the running imap process to see if it's just waiting in
epoll() or if it's doing something else.

> My primary question is howto debug this hang, short of attaching gdb
> to the process.

If it's not in epoll(), getting a gdb backtrace would be helpful too.

Hmm. Or the above things matter only if the problem is with imap process
and not with handling the SSL connection. So it would also be good to
know if it hangs also without SSL.

BTW. --enable-debug doesn't make Dovecot log any more than it normally
does. It instead enables some extra code that makes Dovecot do more
sanity checks so I can notice sooner if I break something. Unless you're
modifying Dovecot's sources yourself it most likely isn't very useful.