[Dovecot] Date error bug

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 12 18:07:30 EEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 10:26 +0200, Bgs wrote:
> I encountered a bug, that prevents me from moving mail and as a side
> effect it messes up all thunderbird/mozilla mail clients (they won't do
> any message copy/move until I restart them).
..
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2085 16:51:38 -0800

The error message says "Invalid internal date". I see two problems here:

1. Date: header isn't the same as internal date. Internal date is the
date when the message was saved.

2. COPY command doesn't do anything special with Date: header. It
especially doesn't try to put it to internal date field.

So it looks like when copying/moving a message Thunderbird goes and
uploads the message with APPEND command and moves Date: header to
INTERNALDATE. If it really does this, it's pretty bad behavior.

Anyway, it still is a Dovecot bug that it doesn't accept such internal
dates. Fixed: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.0/rev/2460c70d1ffb

(and http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.0/rev/12631f82e897 but that's only
a comment change)