[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA munging INBOX access times?

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Thu Jun 14 06:43:26 EEST 2007

> We are running Dovecot 1.0.0 using mbox format (currently in the midst
> of conversion from UW IMAP).  We discovered today that the Dovecot LDA
> is accessing the user's INBOX at delivery time!  Not only do our users

If you're willing to pass on delivery-time indexing, and you assign one
unix uid per account, then you can instead consider using other delivery
agents - and just use dovecot to serve.

I use procmail on my system; and on some mailboxes, I use deliver; some I
deliver direct via procmail to reduce deliver times to
accomodate the flow rates that hit those specific mailboxes (alerts in a
very large production environment that are still smtp based).