[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA munging INBOX access times?

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Thu Jun 14 06:53:02 EEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 08:43:26PM -0700, Jason Fesler wrote:
> >We are running Dovecot 1.0.0 using mbox format (currently in the midst
> >of conversion from UW IMAP).  We discovered today that the Dovecot LDA
> >is accessing the user's INBOX at delivery time!  Not only do our users
>
> If you're willing to pass on delivery-time indexing, and you assign one
> unix uid per account, then you can instead consider using other delivery
> agents - and just use dovecot to serve.

True -- however, two points: 1) we probably won't stay with the 'mbox'
format forever, and 2) we would like to use the Sieve plugin, which I
believe requires use of Dovecot LDA.

> I use procmail on my system; and on some mailboxes, I use deliver; some I
> deliver direct via procmail to reduce deliver times to
> accomodate the flow rates that hit those specific mailboxes (alerts in a
> very large production environment that are still smtp based).

We also have a very large production environment.  Thanks for the ideas.

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593