[Dovecot] 1.0.1 release candidate 3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 14 13:58:51 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 10:57 +0200, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> > 	+ deliver: Added -e parameter to write rejection error to stderr and
> > 	  exit with EX_NOPERM instead of sending the rejection by executing
> > 	  sendmail.
>
> I'm still curious, what permanent problems a MDA may encounter?
>
> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-May/022503.html
>
> When the MTA is sure, the recipient is local, there must be some sort of
> configuration error and, hence, the problem is temporarily and should be
> fixed rather soon than have the mail bounced.
>
> Does somebody disable an (valid) user at MDA-stage?

If that happens deliver exits with EX_NOUSER. There is always at least a
race condition between MTA checking the user and MDA checking it.

> I suggest to tempfail Deliver for all problems.

This is done for v1.1:

		if (error != MAIL_ERROR_NOSPACE ||
		    getenv("QUOTA_FULL_TEMPFAIL") != NULL) {
			/* Saving to INBOX should always work unless
			   we're over quota. If it didn't, it's probably a
			   configuration problem. */
			return EX_TEMPFAIL;
		}

For v1.0.x it would be possible to just check the returned string for
various versions of out of quota/disk space, but that's pretty ugly..