[Dovecot] How do I test new code?

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Thu Jun 14 18:27:17 EEST 2007

I know how to run a second instance of the *base* code (to check
different functionality/config) and documented it in
http://wiki.dovecot.org/RunningDovecot

What I realize I don't know how to do is to run an altogether different
version or build of the code as that second instance, which would be
good to have to check out upgrades before they go into production.
While I could do a build in the regular fashion and put DC somewhere
else or name it something else, so I could invoke this different code,
presumably that different code will still look for the subsidiary
executables in the usual place.  Do I have to change the DESTDIR parm
when doing the make install or some such?

I do realize that,  just as I did with running a second instance of the
*same* code, I'd have to change the config file, have a separate
/var/run directory......

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources