[Dovecot] Looking for plugin docs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 15 22:40:02 EEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 00:41 +0530, Rajkumar S wrote:
> On 6/16/07, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> > Unfortunately there isn't any plugin documentation currently. What kind
> > of a plugin do you want to write? Looking at the existing plugins is
> > probably the easiest way to get started. Also
> > src/lib-storage/mail-storage.h is the most important API if you're going
> > to access mailboxes.
>
> Thanks for the super quick reply!
>
> I am toying with the idea of storing mails in mysql. I was going
> though the archives and read the thread about this. I have also
> downloaded your previous attempt at this. I will go through the
> sources and ping you with questions.

I guess you mean http://dovecot.org/patches/mail-sql.tar.gz? I think
most of the problem with it have to do with the SQL code itself.

If you're thinking about making it actually usable, it would be nice to
store the message body instead as MIME parts (with separated
header/body). That would allow identical attachments to be stored only
once.

All headers could also be stored as rows (with ID<->header name mapping
in its own table so they could be searched quickly), but the headers
should probably still be left as their own complete header text block in
another table so that the full header can be quickly downloaded.