[Dovecot] save failed to INBOX

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 17 13:19:22 EEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 22:20 +0200, Erland Nylend wrote:

> Jun 15 09:24:13 smtp1 deliver(user at domain.tld): mailbox_transaction_commit() failed
> Jun 15 09:24:13 smtp1 deliver(user at domain.tld): msgid=<920880857.83287269771168 at mailserver>: save failed to INBOX: Timeout while waiting for lock
> Jun 15 09:24:13 smtp1 deliver(user at domain.tld): mailbox_transaction_commit() failed
> Jun 15 09:24:13 smtp1 deliver(user at domain.tld): msgid=<920880857.83287269771168 at mailserver>: save failed to INBOX: Timeout while waiting for lock
> Jun 15 09:24:13 smtp1 deliver(user at domain.tld): mailbox_transaction_commit() failed
> Jun 15 09:24:13 smtp1 deliver(user at domain.tld): msgid=<920880857.83287269771168 at mailserver>: save failed to INBOX: Timeout while waiting for lock
>
> Dont't know if it matters, but this account has 22000+ messages ..
> The other one I saw with the same error message had 15000+.
>
> > BTW. What filesystem do you use?
>
> We're using GPFS.

But it doesn't happen always I guess? Maybe this has something to do
with GPFS?

That error happens if maildir-uidlist.lock file was found to exist for
two minutes + 2 seconds, and within those 2 minutes it changed at least
once.

The uidlist is locked while maildir is being synchronized. With local
filesystems syncing a 22k maildir takes less than a second. I don't know
with GPFS. You could try this with for example expunging a message and
seeing how long it takes to return "OK".

Or maybe GPFS caches uidlist.lock file's existence similar to NFS
attribute cache?