[Dovecot] save failed to INBOX

Erland Nylend erland.nylend at lyse.no
Sun Jun 17 20:01:05 EEST 2007

On 2007-06-17, 13:21, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 13:19 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > The uidlist is locked while maildir is being synchronized. With local
> > filesystems syncing a 22k maildir takes less than a second. I don't know
> > with GPFS. You could try this with for example expunging a message and
> > seeing how long it takes to return "OK".
>
> Actually that might not be enough to trigger a full sync. Rather change
> cur/ directory's mtime and then do "NOOP" command.

I've tried doing:

$ telnet my.mail.server 143
Trying 81.167.36.148...
Connected to my.mail.server
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
# LOGIN  user at domain password
# OK Logged in.
# SELECT INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft Junk NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft Junk NonJunk \*)] Flags permitted.
* 1 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1155059954] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 28796] Predicted next UID
# OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
# NOOP
* 22809 EXISTS
# OK NOOP completed.

The NOOP typically takes up to 2 seconds if I "touch cur/foo" in the
users maildir before sending the command.

I noticed that it printed some output once, when I sent a NOOP:

[...]
* 2578 FETCH (FLAGS (NonJunk))
* 2579 FETCH (FLAGS (NonJunk))
* 2580 FETCH (FLAGS (NonJunk))