[Dovecot] FreeBSD NFS file locking mechanism

Tony Tsang tcmtsang2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 05:56:35 EEST 2007

Hi all,

I have some machines running FreeBSD and dovecot deployed. User's home
dir is on NFS mount and I've found that dovecot only works with
dotlock file locking mechanism, fcntl and flock failed. Now it causes
problem with thunderbird (thunderbird is cachine connections) waiting
forever and I noticed that dovecot is trying to acquire a lock but
unsuccessful since the lock file is in place. Is it possible to use
file locking other than dotlock on FreeBSD NFS mounted homedir? How do
I achieve this?

Thanks a lot.

Tony Tsang.