[Dovecot] Time moving backwards error

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 7 15:42:40 EET 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 08:22 -0500, Emmett Pate wrote:
> Occasionally, however, it's followed by:
>
>     Fatal: Sleep interrupted, byebye.

I thought this would never happen, so I didn't bother handling it. But
this'll fix it:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-March/007979.html

> The server is running NTP, but I can't find any reason why it would
> have to roll the clock back a second so often.  Until I get this
> figured out, I've gone back to RC19.

I guess your clock doesn't stay on time somehow. No idea why.. But I
found this from ntpd(8):

       -x     Ordinarily,  if  the time is to be adjusted more than 128
ms, it
              is stepped, not gradually slewed.  This option forces  the
time
              to be slewed in all cases.  Note: Since the slew rate is
limited
              to 0.5 ms/s, each second of adjustment requires an
amortization
              interval of 2000 s.  Thus an adjustment of many seconds
can take
              hours or days to amortize.