[Dovecot] Dovecot vs Couir-IMAP

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Mar 9 04:41:09 EET 2007

Erdenebat Gantomor wrote:
> I'm the beginner for IMAP/POP3 servers. I'm starting to use Dovecot. But
> I'm confusing between Courier-IMAP and Dovecot. Anyone tell me some
> quick tips regarding this issue. What's the better and what's the worst
> thing comparing these two IMAP/POP3 servers? I think the Dovecot is good
> enough for security and performance issue over Courier. Is it right? And
> how about the feature comparision?

A couple of years ago I looked around at the various IMAP servers, and wound up
  using Dovecot for one very basic reason: It took me no time at all to build,
install, configure, and get running.

It was, by far, the simplest thing to configure.

Now, admittedly, I have fairly modest requirements of my IMAP server, and over
time Dovecot's feature list has grown, but as I look at the current
configuration guide/options, it's still fairly clear and obvious what you need
to do and why.

So, it suits a small install... but as quite a number of people on this list
will vouch, it can scale to supporting many hundreds of thousands of users, with
lots of auth and quota options, etc etc.

It's simple for simple tasks.  It's powerful and flexible for larger tasks.
That's not an easy balance to achieve.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net