[Dovecot] Dovecot vs Couir-IMAP

Ethan Sommer sommere at gac.edu
Fri Mar 9 19:48:45 EET 2007

Marten Lehmann wrote:
>> Delayed expunges are already in Dovecot:
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Lazyexpunge
>
> but it seems to work differently. In cyrus just the index entries are
> changed so no work on the filesystem is involved (only once for the
> index file). dovecot seems to move the deleted files to another folder
> which causes disk load.
If the file and the destination are on the same filesystem, then moving
a file should cause almost no disk activity at all. I would guess that
it actually uses _less_ than updating an index file. (It certainly is
the same order of magnitude, which is very very small in comparison to
actually deleting or copying a file.)

Ethan

Ethan Sommer
Systems Administrator