[Dovecot] mbox and pop3, maildir and imap

Hans Lammerts j.lammerts at chello.nl
Thu Mar 15 01:10:33 EET 2007

Hi,

Been reading a lot of posts about dovecot configuration, but can't really

figure out if what I want is even possible or how to achieve this.

My setup is simple :

One linux machine that collects mail from my provider and sorts them for

me and my wife, where my email is stored in Maildir format in
~myuser/.maildir

and my wife's email is stored in mbox format in /var/spool/mail.

Before making my wife crazy with a new way of getting and reading email with

IMAP, I tried to do the following :

My PC (not the linux server) runs either linux or XP, and the client I'm
using is

Evolution 2.8.2.2. I can get my email using IMAP without problems.

My wife's PC just runs XP and the email client is Outlook which gets its
email

from the linux server through pop3.

I've setup Dovecot to service both IMAP and POP3. The default_mail_env is
now

set to maildir:~%u/.maildir (which of course only reflects Evolution's IMAP
need on

my own PC)

Now for the big question:

How can I achieve that when I get email from the server using IMAP, I will
automatically

just look in the Maildir location (~%u/.maildir) __AND__ when my wife logs
on through

POP3, dovecot will only look for her email in her mbox directory
/var/spool/mail/... ?

In other words, different protocols used by (two) different users need to
look for email

in different locations (maildir and mbox).

I tried to get this working using the Namespaces thingy in dovecot, but
couldn't get it to

work.

Any suggestions (hyperlinks) are most welcome.

Thanks,

Hans