[Dovecot] mbox and pop3, maildir and imap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 15 12:49:49 EET 2007

On 15.3.2007, at 1.10, Hans Lammerts wrote:

> How can I achieve that when I get email from the server using IMAP,
> I will
> automatically
>
> just look in the Maildir location (~%u/.maildir) __AND__ when my
> wife logs
> on through
>
> POP3, dovecot will only look for her email in her mbox directory
> /var/spool/mail/... ?

I think this would work:

protocol imap {
   default_mail_env = maildir:~/.maildir
}

protocol pop3 {
   default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
}

Another way would be to specify the mail location in your userdb
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserDatabase http://wiki.dovecot.org/
MailLocation) assuming that you're using something else than passwd.

A third option would be to set the MAIL environment manually: http://
wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting