[Dovecot] pop3 uidl when migrating from mbox to maildir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 15 19:29:15 EET 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 18:13 +0100, Giuseppe Giacomini wrote:
> Thank you for the reply of my previous post
> (http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-March/020716.html)
> now it works, but I have another question about  migrating pop3 account
> (with leave mail on server) to
> maildir.
> On this post ->
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-February/011464.html
> you explain how to create  dovecot-uidlist preserving UIDVALIDITY.
>
> Is there someone that have build a script to generate such dovecot-uidlist?

If you want to do that, you can't really use the convert plugin. I
originally thought I'd make convert plugin support that, but it got just
too complex. You'd anyway get the UIDVALIDITY value from mbox's X-IMAP
or X-IMAPbase header, and the UID values from X-UID headers.

I'm not aware of any existing scripts that perserves the UIDs, so either
you'd have to do it yourself or just let the POP3 users suffer from the
duplicate mails. Now would be a good time to suggest them to switch to
IMAP :)