[Dovecot] Best way to migrate from Qpopper to Dovecot

David McBride dwm at tastycake.net
Tue Mar 20 12:12:53 EET 2007

Torsten wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for your suggestions.
> You`re right, if I use rsync the smtp service on the old maschine could be active when copying the mboxes.
> Without rsync a loss of emails is possible.

I think you mean 'POP' or 'IMAP' rather than 'SMTP', but yes.

> Hmm let`s see, maybe I use my second alternative (no migration of data).

In general, I'd advise against that - that way lies madness.

In particular, users tend to get confused if they have multiple different
mailbox interfaces.  Plus you then have to maintain two completely independent
mail services rather than just one (including backups and everything else that
that entails.)

Usually it's much less effort _in the long run_ to migrate the data.

Cheers,
David
--
David McBride <dwm at tastycake.net>