[Dovecot] Version numbering

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Wed Mar 28 06:13:01 EEST 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 03:46:40AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> After v1.0 is released, I can finally get back to sane version numbers.
> But any comments on which one is better:
>
> a) Postfix-style: "1.1.UNSTABLE.YYYYMMDD" -> 1.1.0 (stable)
>
> b) Odd-even numbering: 1.1.x (unstable) -> 1.2.0 (stable)
>
> With a) style the releases could be done by simply copying a nightly
> snapshot to releases/ directory and announcing the changes since the
> last release. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I'm not claiming to be real familiar with the various numbering methods,
but I'd opt for a simple approach that doesn't require "inside" knowledge.
As such, I do NOT like option b.  I'd prefer that stable releases be kept
separate from unstable ones, and that the stable ones be numbered:

	X.Y.Z

where: X is the major version (changes only for major feature updates),
Y is the minor version (changes for minor feature updates), and Z is more
or less a patch level.

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593