[Dovecot] Version numbering

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 28 19:29:54 EEST 2007

Quoting Chris Wakelin <c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk>:

>>> b) Odd-even numbering: 1.1.x (unstable) -> 1.2.0 (stable)
>>
>> I don't like this, as the average new user has no idea that the odds
>> are unstable, and runs them, then gets flamed for it, etc.  No matter
>> how well you document it on the web/wiki, people are going to mistakenly
>> run the odd number releases and get in trouble.
>>

> I think most new users will look at the web-page and download the latest
> "stable" version. As long as both stable and development versions are
> listed prominently, I doubt many would be confused. Plenty of other
> packages follow this numbering system, e.g. Linux Kernel, Squirrelmail,
> and Lilypond.

If the two are not kept in the same directory, and if they are downloading
from the official site instead of some RPM repository or such, then yes.

But, the fact is, many will not get the package from the web site but
from some ftp site, web listing of the directory, or an RPM repo (apt/yum/etc)
or some such, and not know what the version numbers mean.

I don't really care myself, I'm just trying to look out for others.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!