[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 31 05:33:06 EEST 2007

Quoting Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>:

> That's fine for isolated users supporting only themselves. But it won't
> win any mind share in the boardroom. If you want widespread deployment
> to get proper testing (and hence a larger user base) you need a version
> number that gives business people the confidence to install it.
> Otherwise you'll be limited to avant garde hobbyists who have nothing
> to risk.

While, is there really no one between the boardroom and the avant garde
hobbyists?  I didn't realize there was such a void between those levels...

> Once 1.0 locks down, you should see a huge expansion of users. Bug

Yes, well, of course.  We all know that already.

> fixes (not features!) in 1.0.1 will see further expansion. Any new
> features (like the recent addition of the wiki to the tarball) should
> be in the scary and experimental 1.1, not 1.0.

That is simply documentation, not really a feature.  And it is actually
fairly normal to add and refine documentation during a RC release.

I agree in general with the "no more features" requests, but docs are
really a whole different thing.  Most shops are working on the docs
right up to the last minute for every release.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!