[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Sat Mar 31 06:26:13 EEST 2007

On 2007 Mar 30 (Fri) at 17:04:58 -0700 (-0700), Kenneth Porter wrote:
:That's fine for isolated users supporting only themselves. But it won't win
:any mind share in the boardroom. If you want widespread deployment to get
:proper testing (and hence a larger user base) you need a version number
:that gives business people the confidence to install it.

When did the boardroom understand mail servers?  I must have missed
that memo.  I tell them it is a fully functional, sturdy, reliable and
fast email server infrastructure that they don't have to worry about.
And since thats true, they don't have to worry about it.

This sort of decision is exactly why I'm the mail admin and they are
not.  They know things at the boardroom level, and they are
(presumably) good at it.  I don't look at things from the boardroom
level.  However, I understand the MTA-related arena better than they do.
If they understood the details, why would they spend the money on my
salary.

Would it make you feel better if Timo decided that the next rc level
was to be renamed 5.4?  How about Enterprise Edition?  The version number
means nothing.

:Otherwise you'll be limited to avant garde hobbyists who have nothing to
:risk.

And I resent the implication that I have nothing to risk.  I take deep
pride in the fact that I treat my home systems exactly the same as I
would a professional mail server contract.  Stability, reliability and
reachability are crucial.  Being a hobbyist does not mean I do not care
about the quality of my gear, just that I spend my own money on it.  I
frequently just want it to Just Work, and it does.  When I feel like
fiddling, I make copies of the appropriate binaries/configs and if I do
not get things back in their proper form then the working copies are
restored.

--
Not only is this incomprehensible, but the ink is ugly and the paper
is from the wrong kind of tree.