[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Sat Mar 31 15:32:40 EEST 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Frank Cusack wrote:
> FWIW, in my experience, all 1.0 software is utter shit and should be
> avoided like the plague if stability is a requirement.  So 0.99, 1.0, etc
> is all meaningless to me.

1.0 = shit is almost always true for payware IMHO.  Open source has a far
better track record on this.  If I had to give dovecot a version number
right now, I would say it is about version 9.8.

My one concern about dovecot is the "feeping creaturism" in the code.
Why does it have to be an LDA?  That is what procmail is for.  And designing
your own mailbox format (dbox?) seems dangerous too.  I would have it
stick to POP and IMAP, period.  But then it is not my code either.
It works great for IMAP, which is what I need.

Jeff Earickson
Colby  College