[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Mar 31 15:55:48 EEST 2007

On Saturday March 31, 2007 at 08:32:40 (AM) Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> My one concern about dovecot is the "feeping creaturism" in the code.
> Why does it have to be an LDA?  That is what procmail is for.  And designing
> your own mailbox format (dbox?) seems dangerous too.  I would have it
> stick to POP and IMAP, period.  But then it is not my code either.
> It works great for IMAP, which is what I need.

Personally, I like the LDA feature in Dovecot. Procmail is a memory hog
with a cavorted rules configuration scheme. Its use has seriously
declined in favor of better products now available.

Procmail is best left to single user status. I would never consider
employing it in a multi user environment, although I know it has been done.
Why though I fail to understand. There are better and easier methods
available.

There is no inherent danger in designing your own inbox structure,
provided that no other application attempts to access it incorrectly.
Dovecot would not be the first LDA/POP/IMAP application to do this.

--
Gerard

"A psychiatrist is a man who goes to a strip club and watches the audience."

	Merv Stockwood