[Dovecot] Return error instead of dying on time back skip?

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed May 2 16:13:29 EEST 2007

Amon Ott wrote:
> All our systems run ntpd, but they might be offline for a while before
> they get contact to a time server, e.g. because of DSL problems. When
> they do get contact and time is too far off, ntpd sets the new time
> directly (yes, it could gradually do that, but it might take ages).

You might want to consider using clockspeed:

	http://cr.yp.to/clockspeed.html

instad of ntpd, since clockspeed handles the underlying clock skew in a
more robust fashion.  This software needs only a couple of connections
to figure out how bad the underlying hardware clock skews and
automatically adjusts it in a smooth fashion.

If you haven't used Dan Bernstein's software before, you will probably
want to use clockspeed-conf:

	http://foo42.de/devel/sysutils/clockspeed-conf/

to manage the daemons.

John