[Dovecot] Thinking Outside the Box - Extending IMAP

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Sun May 13 17:18:15 EEST 2007

Andy Shellam wrote:
> I love this idea!  I know it wouldn't be part of the standard IMAP
> specification, and you'd probably have to have an extra capability
> such as CUSTOMEXECUTE or something in the IMAP capabilities, which
> Thunderbird would have to look for before it allows the use of the
> plugins.
>
> As you suggested, this would make it so much easier to create an
> Exchange-style account with Thunderbird/other client software.
>
> Anyone else?
>
> Andy.

Thanks Andy. You literally could do anything with it. All you have to do
is create a server and a client and let IMAP establish a connection.
Seems to me it would be pretty easy to code up. The executed program
would need environment variables set so that the server side would know
the login name and IP address of the connection in case you wanted to
restrict or log that.

So - who wants to code it up? I'll write a few server end pieces to say
edit text files to be used for server side block lists with Exim. Need
someone to code it into Dovecot, and need someone to write a Thunderbird
plugin that would add a "blacklist sender" button to send the command.

How hard can it be? Right?