[Dovecot] Replication plans

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 18 12:09:08 EEST 2007

On 18.5.2007, at 5.41, Christian Balzer wrote:

> Yes, all these FS based approaches currently have one or more of
> the issues Timo lists. The question of course is, will a replicated
> dovecot be less complex, slow, etc.

The good thing is at least that Dovecot won't be any more complex if
you're not using replication. :) I think pretty much all of the
replication can be handled with a plugin and this dovecot-replication
binary.

>>> I also tend to have imap clients open on multiple machines, so the
>>> assumption that a user's mailbox will only be accessed from 1 IP is
>>> probably a bad one.
>>
>> Yes, I know. But usually there's only one client that's actively
>> modifying the mailbox. The readers don't need global locking because
>> they're not changing anything. Except \Recent flag updates..
>>
> We have multiple ACTIVE clients accessing the same mailbox all the
> time. Company role accounts love that kind of setup. ^_^

I think moving a global lock from one computer to another could still
be faster than all-the-time proxying. But this of course depends on
the locking implementation and perhaps other things I haven't
considered yet.