[Dovecot] Replication plans

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Mon May 21 04:08:08 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen writes:

> Then there are also people who would want to run Dovecot on their laptop
> and have it synchronize with the main server whenever network connection
> is available.

YES!

I had not thought of that, but that would be killer.. although that would be
multi-master which I think would be really difficult to implement.. :-(

> I was hoping to find an existing global lock manager. I think there
> exist some. If not, then I'll have to spend some more time thinking
> about it. Anyway everyone don't want to use AFS, so I can't rely on
> it :)

It is not that people dont want.. it is that some times they can't.
For example where I work we are keeping a close eye on Gluster, but it
currently does not work in FreeBSD. Some of the other distrbibuted
filesystems are either not as mature in FreeBSD or are non existent.