[Dovecot] LDAP for Virtual Domains

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon May 21 08:17:28 EEST 2007

Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> On May 18, 2007, at 11:33 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>
>>> Thank you for that info. Do you mind posting the relevant portions
>>> of your Postfix config?
>> main.cf:
>> virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail
>> virtual_mailbox_domains = <all your external / internal domains here>
>> virtual_mailbox_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/maps/ldap-virtual.cf
>> virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
>> virtual_gid_maps = static:8
>> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/maps/virtual-aliases
>> ##EOF
>>
>> ldap-virtual.cf:
>> server_host = localhost
>> search_base = ou=People,dc=amfeslan,dc=local
>> query_filter = (&(mail=%s))
>> result_attribute = mail
>> result_format = /%d/%u/
>> version = 3
>>
>> The ldap-virtual settings look a little odd - but I'm rather proud of
>> my gimmick.  You look for the mail address matching the sender (mail
>> = %s).  Return that same address - but format it as domain/user.
>> Append it to /var/mail and there it is!
>>
>> virtual-aliases is a simple file for me - I haven't settled on an
>> LDAP implentation for aliases yet I'm satisfied with.  I'm using
>> ldap-account-manager for adminstration, and there's no explicit
>> provision for aliases within LAM or the base schemas used.
>
> I just asked Pascal as well how he gets around Postfix asking for
> mailacceptinggeneralid in order to allow messages to be accepted. How
> do you get around that? Dovecot is working fine but I can't get
> Postfix to accept messages because it keeps trying to find
> mailacceptinggeneralid.
>
> Bryan

This is a problem in basic understanding of Postfix's (or just about any
LDAP enabled program, for that matter) LDAP handling.  The docs
reference mailacceptinggeneralid in the examples (and I still don't know
what LDAP schema Wietse may have pulled that from) - and it is a default
- but YOU explicitly tell Postfix how to use your LDAP configuration.

If you look at my files, the virtual_mailbox_maps parameter specifies a
file - which I created.  That file tells Postfix exactly how to work
with LDAP.  You can see the query is searching the LDAP "mail" field,
and returns the value of the "mail" field in a particular format.
Nowhere in my query_filter and result_attribute do you see
mailacceptinggeneralid - so I assume you didn't implement my sample config.

If Dovecot is now using your LDAP properly, we're probably getting
off-topic now and you should continue this on the Postfix mailing list.
If you want to contact me directly I will try to help you as well.

--
Daniel