[Dovecot] v1.0.6 released

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Fri Nov 2 17:29:53 EET 2007

On Friday, November  2 at 04:50 PM, quoth Timo Sirainen:

>On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 14:31 -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
>> On Sunday, October 28 at 03:16 AM, quoth Timo Sirainen:
>> >	* SORT: If Date: header is missing or broken, fallback to using
>> >	  INTERNALDATE (as the SORT draft nowadays specifies).
>>
>> Since this is a subject I looked at before, I'm rather curious. Where
>> in the SORT draft does it say to fall back to INTERNALDATE?
>
>Just search for INTERNALDATE :)
>
>       DATE
>          Sent date and time from the Date: header, adjusted by time
>          zone.  This differs from the SENTON criteria in SEARCH, which
>          uses just the date and not the time, nor adjusts by time zone.
>          If the sent date can not be determined (a Date: header is
>          missing or can not be parsed), the INTERNALDATE for that
>          message is used as the sent date.

Very interesting... two different pages on the IETF's website have two
different texts for version 19 of that draft. Odd.

Anyway, at best, it would seem that the text has multiple potential
interpretations, because the parenthetical explanation there of what
it means for a sent date to be un-determinable is different from (and
contradictory of) what it says in section 2.2 (which is what I
quoted).

>Treating invalid time as 00:00:00 should probably be done at some point,
>but it's a pretty rare problem and also a SHOULD, not a MUST :)

I would tend to disagree - the draft says more than simply that
invalid time must be treated as 00:00:00, but rather:

     If there is no valid date or time, the date and time SHOULD be
     treated as 00:00:00 on the earliest possible date.

Thus, even if you fall back to INTERNALDATE, the time should be zeroed
out. But you're right, it is a SHOULD rather than a MUST.

~Kyle
--
If God can work through me, he can work through anyone.
                                               -- St. Francis of Assisi