[Dovecot] Mailbox is in inconsistent state

Dion Hollenbeck hollen at woodsprite.com
Wed Nov 21 02:30:09 EET 2007

Running on Fedora 7, error happening on both Dovecot 1.05, and now
that I upgraded to 1.07, same thing occurs.

dovecot -n

# 1.0.7: /etc/dovecot.conf
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
auth default:
   passdb:
     driver: pam
   userdb:
     driver: passwd

Email client(s):  Eudora 7.0.1 on XP and 6.2.x on NT both do the same thing.

Protocol: POP3

Symptom:

1 - On Linux, fetchmail is bringing mail down from ISP and running it
through SpamAssasin to remove spam.

2 - Still on Linux, I use Pine 4.64 to manually remove any spam or
viruses not caught by SA.  Exit Pine.

3 - On windoze, with Eurora, check for new mail, "ERR Mailbox is in
inconsistent state, please relogin"

4 - Check for new mail second time, works perfectly.

5 - Use Pine again with new mail having arrived, same error occurs.

6 - Do not use Pine in between and error does not occur.

I have tried searching the mailing list archives for this error, but
it only is mentioned in conjunction with IMAP.  Noticed that UIDs of
some value can cause the problem.  My actual user IDs start with 500,
which according to dovecot.conf is the default allowable.  I have
made no changes to dovecot.conf at all.

I also tried looking at the log, but it appears to be a binary
(located in /home/<username>/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log) not
a readable text file.

thanks,
dion

--