[Dovecot] Namespace "hidden" option not working?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Oct 4 00:32:58 EEST 2007

Hi

> You shouldn't have inbox = yes on more than one namespace. From the
> comments in my dovecot.conf:
>
>    # There can be only one INBOX, and this setting defines which
> namespace
>    # has it.
>    #inbox = yes

Sure.  However, if only one has the INBOX, then doesn't this rather
break the whole point of having the backwards compatible access to the
INBOX?  Am I missing the point?

> I think you're also hiding the wrong namespace. You don't want to
> advertise the backwards-compatibility namespace to clients. If they're
> already using the old one, they can still use it, but you don't want
> new clients to start using it. Namespace-aware clients will adapt (in
> theory?).

Possibly.

Actually I decided that personally I prefer to have everything under
"INBOX.", because all the clients I commonly use then nest the folders
under INBOX (which I quite like).  However, OE and Outlook are too dumb
to figure this out and it's pointless telling all our customers to set
the folder prefix when we could just support it working without needing
to change anything...

Anyway, the original question still stands!  How come all my folders
from both namespaces are being listed??

Ed W