[Dovecot] How to upgrade a running Dovecot?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 6 04:19:33 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 13:57 +0100, Mike Brudenell wrote:
> Scenario 1:  Change to dovecot.conf
> ===================================
> If I make a change to dovecot.conf am I right in thinking I can
> simply send a HUP signal to the main dovecot process to get it to re-
> read the configuration file and act on its revised content?

One problem with SIGHUP is that it kills connections that are currently
logging in (sending "* BYE Server is shutting down." to client). Would
be nice if one day the login and auth processes simply stop accepting
new connections and kill themselves only after the last client has
disconnected.

> Scenario 2:  Altered SSL Certificates
> I need to replace our current certificates and have prepared new
> files containing the replacement certificate and private key.  Am I
> right in thinking that I can simply modify dovecot.conf to point at
> the new files and send a HUP signal to dovecot?  Specifically, will
> new connections use the revised certificates, and existing
> connections continue to work OK without interruption?

Yes, the SSL files are read by login processes at startup. And SIGHUP
restarts login processes.