[Dovecot] Homedir Access without exposing whole Homedir.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Thu Oct 11 02:27:08 EEST 2007

Hello All,

Dovecot 1.0.3

I am coming from UW IMAP, and I'm finding for some reason that mail is
getting stored in a variety of places (which I believe, is because by
default UW imap allowed access to the entire home directory).

All files are mbox.  My default delivery location is ~/.mail

Thus:

* At least a couple of my users have mail in ~/INBOX, as well as
~/INBOX.drafts (not many users so I don't really care about this).

* Several of my users have their mail folders in their home directory, AND
in a mail folder.

For example, my "test case" user, had the following .mailboxlist file:

mail/Sent
mail/Drafts
mail/Spam
mail/Trash
Sent Items
Drafts
Deleted Items
Junk E-mail

Now, here's the question.  I'd like to make it so that everyone has what
they had before, but that any new folders are created in ~/mail/ (so that
if I ever DO decide to convert, I know where to look).

What I thought would be useful for this is make the default namespace "",
but set it hidden.  Then define a secondary namespace (mail) and use that.

However, when I did this, and got a mailbox list, it still recursively
listed every file in the homedir.

Is there a simple way to do what I want?

-Dan Mahoney

--

"Station!"

-Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey