[Dovecot] iPhone 1.1.1 problems.

Jim Maenpaa jim+dovecot at ohwell.org
Sun Oct 14 20:18:50 EEST 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 17:33, Mike Meyer wrote:

> I'm having problems with the iPhone client in the 1.1.1 version of the
> iPhone software. Things with other clients work fine, and the iPhone
> worked fine before it was upgraded to 1.1.1. Other phones on 1.1.1
> failed. I'm still working on testing against the client with the
> iPhone 1.0.2 software on it.

Works fine here.

> The problem is that the client simply doesn't connect to dovecot. I
> can see the packets passing back and forth in a number of ways, but
> haven't been able to see the contents. I tried turning on raw logging,
> but don't get log files for accesses from the iPhone. What I get are
> lines like so:
>
> Oct 13 00:08:34 bhuda dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected:
> rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2, lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1, TLS
>
> Turning off SSL both ways, and the message changes to:
>
> Oct 13 18:21:38 bhuda dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login:
> rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2, lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1
>
> Tweaking the logging in the firewall reveals something interesting:
> apparently the phone makes the connection to 993, then dovecot drops
> the connection, but the phone keeps sending to it (and yes, I've tried
> setting the firewall to allow arbitrary traffic between the phone and
> the server).

Have you tried using port 143? Check the Incoming Mail Server setting
on the iPhone. For port 143, there should just be a Host Name without
":993" appended. ... I haven't tested with port 993. If you're
synching email accounting with your desktop, you'll need to change it
there and resynch - you won't be able to change it on the iPhone
unless you setup the account directly on the iPhone.

> So, first question: is anyone who has clients using iPhone software
> version 1.1.1 working willing to share config information?

# 1.0.5: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
ssl_ca_file: /usr/local/etc/certs/ca.pem
ssl_cert_file(default): /usr/local/etc/certs/dovecot-imaps.pem
ssl_cert_file(imap): /usr/local/etc/certs/dovecot-imaps.pem
ssl_cert_file(pop3): /usr/local/etc/certs/dovecot-pop3s.pem
ssl_key_file(default): /usr/local/etc/certs/dovecot-imaps.pem
ssl_key_file(imap): /usr/local/etc/certs/dovecot-imaps.pem
ssl_key_file(pop3): /usr/local/etc/certs/dovecot-pop3s.pem
ssl_cipher_list: TLSv1+SSLv3+aRSA+RSA:-LOW:-EXPORT:-eNULL:@STRENGTH
login_dir: /opt/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /opt/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /opt/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /opt/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
login_processes_count(default): 3
login_processes_count(imap): 3
login_processes_count(pop3): 2
login_max_processes_count(default): 20
login_max_processes_count(imap): 20
login_max_processes_count(pop3): 5
verbose_proctitle: yes
mail_location: maildir:~/.maildir/
dotlock_use_excl: yes
mail_executable(default): /opt/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /opt/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /opt/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /opt/local/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /opt/local/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /opt/local/lib/dovecot/pop3
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %08Xv%08Xu
auth default:
   passdb:
     driver: pam
   userdb:
     driver: passwd

> Second question: suggestions for things to try to solve the problem?
> (Other than talk to apple as that process is underway)? For instance,
> a recipe to sniff the text of the interchange?

Try ssldump. It's probably in ports. If not, you can get it from
<http://www.rtfm.com/ssldump/>. Make sure you use "-k" with the IMAP
server's key.