[Dovecot] iPhone 1.1.1 problems.

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Oct 16 21:02:32 EEST 2007

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:18:50 -0700 Jim Maenpaa <jim+dovecot at ohwell.org> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2007, at 17:33, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I'm having problems with the iPhone client in the 1.1.1 version of the
> > iPhone software. Things with other clients work fine, and the iPhone
> > worked fine before it was upgraded to 1.1.1. Other phones on 1.1.1
> > failed. I'm still working on testing against the client with the
> > iPhone 1.0.2 software on it.
> Works fine here.

Cool. Thanks.

> > The problem is that the client simply doesn't connect to dovecot. I
> > can see the packets passing back and forth in a number of ways, but
> > haven't been able to see the contents. I tried turning on raw logging,
> > but don't get log files for accesses from the iPhone. What I get are
> > lines like so:
>
> Have you tried using port 143? Check the Incoming Mail Server setting
> on the iPhone. For port 143, there should just be a Host Name without
> ":993" appended. ... I haven't tested with port 993. If you're
> synching email accounting with your desktop, you'll need to change it
> there and resynch - you won't be able to change it on the iPhone
> unless you setup the account directly on the iPhone.

Actually, you can change it on the phone; it'll get put back when you
sync with the your desktop again. At least it worked that way for me.

In particular, setting the iPhone to not do SSL, use port 143, and set
Dovecot to accept plaintext passwords on unencrypted channels, it
works.

At Apples suggestion, I deleted and recreated the mail account on the
phone, and it did the "checking connection" - and the SSL connection
failed, it asked me to try unencrypted (I said yes), and that worked.

The config then switched back to SSL and port 993, and that
works. Reverting dovecot back to the original config didn't change
that.

Apparently, the 1.0.2 settings moved to 1.1.1 didn't like something in
my SSL setup. Letting 1.1.1 set things up itself solved the problem.

   Thanks,
   <mike