[Dovecot] verbose_proctitle for proxy processes?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 21 00:25:46 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 21:27 +0200, Onno Molenkamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're using Dovecot to proxy incoming POP3 and IMAP connections to the right
> server. We'd like to be able to see what connections are currently open on
> the proxy servers, without having the parse the log file.
>
> For normal mail processes it's possible to use verbose_proctitle for this
> purpose, but this setting doesn't work for proxy/login processes. Is it
> possible to do something similar for proxy processes? Even without displaying
> the username and IP address, it would be useful to be able to see the
> difference between normal (idle/active) login processes, and proxy processes.

I guess you're using Linux? This should work if you change Dovecot's
sources a bit:

src/lib/process-title.c:

/* NOTE: This really is a horrible hack, I don't recommend using it for
   anything else than debugging. */
/*#define LINUX_PROCTITLE_HACK*/

Then you'll see "imap-login [IP]" for connected processes.