[Dovecot] master user can not login with digest-md5 password

Daniel leva at az.isten.hu
Thu Oct 25 17:10:48 EEST 2007

Hi!

I'm trying to use a master user, here is what I'm doing:

dovecot.conf:
auth default {
[...]
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /etc/dovecot.passdb_master
    pass = yes
    master = yes
  }

  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /etc/dovecot.passdb
  }
[...]
}

(Dovecot said that one can not place the passdb containing "master =
yes" last, why?)

This only works if the master user (in the master passwd file) has PLAIN
password scheme. It doesn't work with DIGEST-MD5. Here is the log when
it's in DIGEST-MD5:
auth(default): passdb(master,84.x.x.x,master): Master user logging in as
leva
auth(default): digest-md5(leva,84.x.x.x): password mismatch
imap-login: Disconnected: user=<leva>, method=DIGEST-MD5, rip=84.x.x.x,
lip=212.x.x.x, TLS

When the master password is in PLAIN scheme, I can login as anyone.
I'm using dovecot-1.1beta4.

Daniel