[Dovecot] Segfault when opening a public folder, dovecot 1.1 beta4

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sat Oct 27 20:02:03 EEST 2007

I was trying to debug this with gdb, but I'm not sure how to make
env MAIL=maildir:~/Maildir MAIL_PLUGINS=acl ACL=vfile gdb /tmp/imap
understand the #shared/decs namespace from below so I can SELECT it.

I have a number of maildirs under #ahared/decs, I tried opening at least
2 of them but dovecot gives sig 11 without a direct error about the problem.
I don't think this was exactly the same problem in 1.1b3, but unfortunately
I deleted all the patches I was testing with so it would be a pain to
test the same situation with 1.1b3 again (although if needed, I can).

If dovecot-shared exists in the folder I try to open, dovecot says:
Oct 27 12:57:38 gribble dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): fchown() failed with file
/home/mcdouga9/Maildir/dovecot11testing/public/indexes/decs/.unixadmin/dovecot.index.log: Operation not
permitted
Oct 27 12:57:38 gribble dovecot: child 55470 (imap) killed with signal 11

I am used to getting the first message because dovecot tries to apply
perms from dovecot-shared to the index files which are elsewhere.

If I open a public folder without dovecot-shared, I see no contents
but it does not sig11.

I am NOT using the acl plugin right now, it didn't seem to make a difference
if it was loaded.  When I left off with the dovecot 1.1b3 + 8 patches, I believe
I was getting an assertion.

Please let me know if I goofed up something, I have a strange feeling about that here,
or if you need more info.  I'd like to go ahead and get a gdb trace.

# 1.1.beta4: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
ssl_cert_file: /usr/local/etc/apache2/ssl/cert.pem
ssl_key_file: /usr/local/etc/apache2/ssl/cert.pem
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 1000
first_valid_gid: 0
mail_location:
maildir:%h/Maildir:CONTROL=%h/Maildir/dovecot11testing/private/control:INDEX=%h/Maildir/dovecot11testing/private/indexes
mail_debug: yes
mmap_disable: yes
mail_nfs_storage: yes
mail_nfs_index: yes
mail_log_max_lines_per_sec: 0
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: #shared/decs/
  location:
maildir:/egr/mail/shared/decs:CONTROL=%h/Maildir/dovecot11testing/public/control/decs:INDEX=%h/Maildir/dovecot11testing/public/indexes/decs
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  prefix: mail/
  location:
maildir:%h/Maildir:CONTROL=%h/Maildir/dovecot11testing/private/control:INDEX=%h/Maildir/dovecot11testing/private/indexes
  hidden: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: private