[Dovecot] Segfault when opening a public folder, dovecot 1.1 beta4

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 27 20:21:54 EEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 13:02 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
> I was trying to debug this with gdb, but I'm not sure how to make
> env MAIL=maildir:~/Maildir MAIL_PLUGINS=acl ACL=vfile gdb /tmp/imap
> understand the #shared/decs namespace from below so I can SELECT it.

Easiest way to figure these kind of things is to set
mail_executable=/tmp/dump.sh which contains:

#!/bin/sh
set > /tmp/dovecot.env

And run dovecot --exec-mail imap. Then either use that information or
just run ". /tmp/dovecot.env" before gdb imap.

> If dovecot-shared exists in the folder I try to open, dovecot says:
> Oct 27 12:57:38 gribble dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): fchown() failed with file
> /home/mcdouga9/Maildir/dovecot11testing/public/indexes/decs/.unixadmin/dovecot.index.log: Operation not
> permitted
> Oct 27 12:57:38 gribble dovecot: child 55470 (imap) killed with signal 11

Fixed the crash: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/7373240c3d1d

But the real problem is that dovecot-shared file is owned by a group
that your imap process doesn't belong to. You probably want to add it to
mail_extra_groups.