[Dovecot] 1.1Beta5 Issue

Bill Landry bill at inetmsg.com
Mon Oct 29 22:04:09 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 08:08 -0700, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>> I installed 1.1Beta 5 this weekend.  I had no problems at all yesterday
>> using Thunderbird.  I started reading my mail with Squirrelmail this
>> morning and everything was going pretty smooth.  I tried to delete a daily
>> e-mail I receive from careerbuilder.com and the IMAP process shot up to
>> 99.9% and I was not able to do anything in Squirrelmail.  I killed that
>> process and tried it again just to be sure what it was.  And it did it
>> again.  I can delete any other message with no problems, just that one
>> causes me issues.  I am not sure if Thunderbird is the same, I will have
>> to wait until I get home tonight.
>
> By "deleting" I suppose you mean "Move to trash", so the problematic
> part is probably copying the message to another mailbox.
>
> So I guess it gets to infinite loop somehow. Would be nice if you could
> get gdb backtrace from the running process:
>
> gdb /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap <pid of imap process>
> bt full
>
> Also if that's not a sensitive email, could you send it to me?

I have a question about using gdb, as I too had a message that I could not move
between folders (however, that was prior to 1.1b5).  When you say to gdb the
"pid of imap process", how do you determine which pid to trace when the output
of "ps axf" is?:

 2252 ?        Ss     0:00 dovecot
 2256 ?        S      0:00  \_ dovecot-auth
 2265 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap-login
 2266 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap-login
 2267 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap-login
 3048 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
 3054 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
 3061 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
 3063 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap