[Dovecot] Dovecot features

Phan Thanh Diện dienpt at tvs.vn
Wed Apr 9 05:11:48 EEST 2008

Curtis Maloney sent this message on 4/9/2008 5:54 AM:
> Phan Thanh Diện wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We would like to switch from courier-imap to dovecot. I have installed
>> dovecot on a machine running FreeBSD 6.3 and now testing it. My
>> questions are below:
>>
>> 1. Can I configure dovecot to delete all files that are older, say 10
>> days, from defined mail boxes (for example Trash or Spam).
>
> Yes - take a look at the "expire" plugin: http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins
>
>> 2. After I access mail box (using web mail squirrel imap) all emails
>> moved from 'new' directory to 'cur'. Then messages are not accessible
>> for pop3. Such behavor doesn't occur with courier-imap. Can I force
>> dovecot to behave like courier-imap?
>
> That shouldn't be.  If you're using Dovecot for both POP3 and IMAP, your
> mail client will be able to see all the mail no matter which protocol you
> access it with.
>
> However, your mail client may be ignoring mail that's been "Seen".
> I'm not
> sure why courier would behave differently with this.
>
> Have you read the migration guide?
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Courier
>
>> Many thanks for help.
>> Dien Phan
>

> --
> Curtis Maloney
> cmaloney at cardgate.net

Hello,

Thank you for your email.
We have been using XMail (www.xmailserver.org) for smtp and pop3,
courier-imap for imap. This works for many years and we don't want to
change. The only change we would like is to switch from courier-imap to
dovecot. So configuration must be unchange: xmail for pop3 and smtp,
dovecot for imap.
Unfortunately we are facing the problem I wrote about: after a user
access mail box via web client (www.squirrel.org) he can not see emails
any more via pop3. The reason is emails moved from 'new' to 'cur'
although nothing done. Dovecot automatically moves. Currently with
courier-imap, no matter we access via web mail or imap client (such as
ThunderBird or Outlook) users can retrive emails via pop3. So my
question is: does courier-imap behave abnormally or my dovecot
mis-configured?

Dien Phan