[Dovecot] keep users from deleting email

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Apr 14 17:19:03 EEST 2008

At 8:42 AM -0500 4/14/08, Adam Williams  imposed structure on a
stream of electrons, yielding:
>I looked on the dovecot website, but didn't find an answer.  With
>dovecot 1.0, is there a way to keep users from deleting their email?
>So that when they click the delete button on their email client,
>nothing happens/dovecot refuses to delete email, etc?

Presumably you're users are all using IMAP, since the question
doesn't really make sense for POP users, whose view of mail is
entirely local to their machines, not  the server.

I'd argue that having the sort of in-your-face dysfunction you
describe is probably not the best approach unless user antagonism is
one of your goals. You would probably be better off making a user's
deletion into a server-side hiding/archiving. The "Lazy Expunge"
plugin can do that. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Lazyexpunge

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com