[Dovecot] keep users from deleting email

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Apr 14 17:45:56 EEST 2008

At 8:58 AM -0500 4/14/08, Adam Williams wrote:
>Charles Marcus wrote:
>>I was thinking about a possible plugin - call it maybe 'fake-delete
>>or something - that would move all messages that a user deletes to
>>a hidden folder in their maildir, for admin purposes... you could
>>also use the expire plugin to keep this from growing indefinitely.
>>
>>But to prevent them from deleting them altogether? Why?
>>
>>If you just want a read-only maildir, just do that - so only admins
>>can delete messages from protected accounts...
>Management wants the users to be able to use the email like normal
>(to read as normal, to file into mailboxes, etc) but not be able to
>delete any email, ever, for archival/legal purposes.

Just so others don't read that as some sort of generally relevant
good idea, it should be noted that as a government agency you have
very special archival/legal  concerns, and that they may be even more
unusual as an agency focused on historical information. Acme's
Widgets Inc. would not be well-advised to use the Mississippi Dept.
of Archives and History as a role model in email preservation.

I still would think that the particular approach you describe is
looking at the archival requirements in the wrong place. Rather than
interfering with how users work with their mail, you would probably
be better off looking at the delivery process and having it create
your permanent archive rather than treating the user-facing mailbox
as the archive.

>  Also, I'm using the wu-imap mbox format and not the Maildir format
>for keeping email, because a year ago I migrated away from wu-imap
>to dovecot.

That eliminates the Lazy Expunge option...
--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com