[Dovecot] Bah! Outlook

Jason Wohlford jason at wohlford.org
Tue Apr 15 06:12:12 EEST 2008

Hi All,

I run a little hosting company. I use Dovecot 1.0.10* with IMAP
exclusively. Lots of my customers use Outlook or Outlook Express. This
poses a problem. These programs don't and have absolutely no
workarounds to move messages to a trash folder when deleted. They only
mark the message for deletion. Then, users have to purge the message
to actually delete it. Outlook has a way to hide deleted messages and
also auto-purge them when moving to a different folder. That just
doesn't cut it. (Thanks Microsoft! :-p )

So, I'm thinking Dovecot could pick up where Microsoft left off.

It seems to me there needs to be two things done. First, a system that
automatically copy a message marked for deletion from one folder (e.g.
INBOX) to a trash folder (e.g. Trash, Deleted Messages, etc.)
Dovecot's lazy_expunge might already do this, but I couldn't quite
discern it from the wiki docs. Second, a way to only do this when
Outlook or Outlook Express is the one who is deleting a message.

Possibility? Comments?

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. Thanks for the great software!

*Yes, I know. I need to upgrade to Dovecot 1.0.13.

--
Jason Wohlford
<jason at wohlford.org>