[Dovecot] Bah! Outlook

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Tue Apr 15 08:32:22 EEST 2008

Jason Wohlford wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I run a little hosting company. I use Dovecot 1.0.10* with IMAP
> exclusively. Lots of my customers use Outlook or Outlook Express. This
> poses a problem. These programs don't and have absolutely no
> workarounds to move messages to a trash folder when deleted. They only
> mark the message for deletion. Then, users have to purge the message
> to actually delete it. Outlook has a way to hide deleted messages and
> also auto-purge them when moving to a different folder. That just
> doesn't cut it. (Thanks Microsoft! :-p )
>
> So, I'm thinking Dovecot could pick up where Microsoft left off.
>
> It seems to me there needs to be two things done. First, a system that
> automatically copy a message marked for deletion from one folder (e.g.
> INBOX) to a trash folder (e.g. Trash, Deleted Messages, etc.)
> Dovecot's lazy_expunge might already do this, but I couldn't quite
> discern it from the wiki docs. Second, a way to only do this when
> Outlook or Outlook Express is the one who is deleting a message.
>
> Possibility? Comments?

Yes...outlook is one of the worst imap client I have seen..:)

The problem is that the user's Trash folder was not at the root level of
the email account. Outlook did not know how to deal with that.
Move/create users trash folder to the root level. Look for trash
(deleted items) folder with the correct icon appeared. Correct icon
indicates that Outlook now recognizes trash as trash folder.

> Cheers,
> Jason
>
> P.S. Thanks for the great software!
>
> *Yes, I know. I need to upgrade to Dovecot 1.0.13.

Uldis